Saturday, September 02, 2006

Plugging Leaks

Okay, for those who don't know me, when it comes to home repairs I make Tim "the tool man" Taylor look like an utter genius. Well, yesterday was the day of leaks. Our eaves trough has had a leak in it since we bought the place, and of course it drips right over the entrance to the front door. When my in laws were here I had access to a trailer so I went and purchased a ladder to get up there. So that was the scheduled task for the day,however cruel fate had something else in mind...

"Honey, the bathroom sink isn't draining that well". Okay, fine, that is a 5 minute job to clean it out..right.... the plunger came apart and dropped down the drain...Okay, don't panic...just take the u-trap apart and get it...right.... well some *insert insulting word of your choice here* plumber who built the house glued the u-trap, so it cracked the pipe when I was trying to get it off. Normally it is just screwed together...sigh...off to Home depot, have to buy not just the u-trap but the elbows, plus joiner pipe as I have to saw everything off and start with basically a pipe sticking out from the wall.

After assembling it, it had one small leak...of course. So I coated everything around it in ABS glue, so far so good...

Off to the roof, after 75 trips up and down the ladder, I got everything cleaned out, dried up and caulked...does it still leak...I didn't want to spoil my day, so I'll know next time it rains...

Plugging leaks...as today is my 37th B-day, I take hopeful comfort in the hopeful reality that by my next birthday I should have my daughter, plugging the hole in my heart that longs to have her. I hope as she grows up she is handy, so she can do these house repairs... :)

4 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

YUCK! I hate house repairs. You are brave to try them at all! We usually just shrug and say "call a guy!" I liked the analogy at the end. Trust me, your daughter won't just plug a whole, she'll fill your whole heart! :-)

Janet T.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry honey but I'm laughing my head off -but I'm feeling badly for you at the same time. I pay the BIG BUCKS now for a plumber.... Don't have my boy home to do the repairs. But let me add, for all the things you are building and all the renovations you have done over these past five years - you are amazing and have done an incredible job...I know Cara will totally agree.

Cara B said...

amen sister!
Randy has succeeded many times in many home projects... and I am in awe of his Courage and determination to try and to do all he can to make it work.

love him for that!
Cara

Anonymous said...

Oh Randy...I am sorry for your troubles. It rather reminds me of the day we went to replace some little part in the tank of our toilet and ended up having to buy a whole new toilet. I firmly believe home renovation to be one of God's best tools in helping us develop our character.

PS. Happy birthday!