Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Fly trap!



Got a new baby... plant that is, my green thumb (and rest of me that is attached) went to the greenhouse for my usual green tour and on the way out I found a Venus Flytrap, so $7 later it was mine!!!!

A Venus Flytrap is a carnivorous plant that catches and digests animal prey (mostly insects and arachnids). The trapping structure is formed by the terminal portion of each of the plant's leaves.

I have yet to get it to eat a bug, but when time allows...

A couple of my smaller bonsai's looked at it a little nervously when I brought it home... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MAGGIE! BE CAREFUL

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Tell your little bonsais that they are safe, fly traps only eat bugs, not other plants. They're not completely uncivilized! :-)

My kids begged me for one of those once, and I should have gotten it. It would have been a great learning experience for them. Except I probably would have killed it. Then they would learn not to trust Mommy with plants.

Venus fly traps always make me think of "The LIttle Shop of Horrors." :-)