As I find tips that we hope to use, and collect from other soruces I will post them under the appropriate TIPS section as both a resource for us and anyone else preparing to travel...
* Money beltS- Yes, plural. Have each person in your party carry some of the money, so that if the unthinkable happens, you don't lose it all.
* Convert money in your own country if at all possible. Holidays in China etc. can pose some real issues.
*Get NEW, CRISP USD for the gift for the orphanage and shopping. Older and used looking bills are not always accepted.
* You really can’t exchange Yuan once you are out of China, so you must either spend it all or convert it back before you leave.
* If you want to convert Yuan you only get USD in exchange.
* An important one: in order to exchange more than 500Yuan, you need a receipt showing when/where you converted it in the first place. Future travelers: keep at least one of the currency exchange receipts from your hotel/bank and take it with you to the airport.
More to come...